Moving to the retirement community in Lake Ashton FL is the first step to helping you live a long, healthy life. After all, with the great weather, beautiful scenery, friendly neighbors, and plenty of ways to stay active, you’ve got a lot of positives right at your fingertips. Here are a few more tips to help you make the most of your retirement years.
- Wonder and Beauty. Take in that glorious sunset, marvel at the vastness of the ocean, listen to a piece of music that really moves you, and visit some museums and art galleries. It turns out that our body’s defense system gets a boost when we experience a sense of awe, so take a moment to enjoy the wonders of life.
- Get a Furry Friend. The positive effects that pets have on people’s lives have been documented for years now. The simple act of petting a dog or cat can help lower blood pressure and reduce anxiety. Even owning a pet bird, fish, or small animal can help, though studies suggest that a dog offers the most benefit, particularly as dogs lead to owners being more physically active.
- Daily Purpose. It’s easy to fall into a funk when we wake up day after day without any real plan or purpose. That doesn’t mean you have to devote all of your time to one thing, but consider regularly volunteering, taking classes, and generally having something to look forward to on a regular basis.
- Be Sun Smart. Skin cancer risk increases as you get older. While getting enough vitamin D is important for your health, it is also important to protect your skin and try to avoid being out in the middle of the day when the sun is at its strongest. Particularly when living in a retirement community in Lake Ashton FL, it is vital that you use plenty of strong sunscreen and schedule your outdoor activities for earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon when the sun isn’t quite as strong. Fortunately, there are plenty of indoor activities at Lake Ashton to keep you entertained day and night.
- Laugh out Loud. Laughter really is one of the best medicines. Not only does it reduce stress, it also helps reduce pain, boost the immune system, and improve blood flow to the brain. Researchers have found that laughing has the same effect on blood vessels as exercise, so watch those funny videos online or have a regular evening out with friends enjoying a live comedy show.
- Be Social. Speaking of friends, keep up your connections, whether online or in person. Loneliness can have a significant negative impact on health. That doesn’t mean you have to be a social butterfly every day, but by maintaining contact with friends and family on a regular basis, you’re doing your health a favor. Fortunately, life at Lake Ashton makes it easy to stay social.
- Read More. A study at Yale suggests that reading even just 30 minutes a day improves your overall longevity. Books are best, but newspapers, magazines, and even online blogs all have their benefits. In fact, another benefit of reading is the increase in information. By reading up on health information, you can more easily stay up to date and have a better understanding of options available to you regarding your health and treatment.
Of course, all of the classics, such as eating healthy, staying hydrated, and keeping active still apply. Life is more than just food and exercise, though, so it’s no surprise that a full, rounded life is one that is likely to last longer.